Monday, 25 February 2013

Needlecase finish

 Hi there, here's a photo of the needlecase I just finished, it has been sitting in the too hard basket for a long time.  I started the embroidery in 2007, helps when the date is included in the design.  I might have mentioned before that I made one of these for a friend, hers turned out really well.  When I went to make one for myself however it didn't go well at all.  Somehow when I transferred the embroidery design onto the fabric it was off the straight of the grain, didn't think a lot about it till it came time to stitch it onto the needlecase cover.  It was crooked of course, it looked terrible.  I didn't take a photo it was very distressing.  The pattern called for tiny prairie points along the top and bottom edge, they looked terrible.  Some of the raw edges didn't catch in the seam and a couple were wonky.  That was about the time it got ditched.

It stayed in a basket with other ufos and for the last couple of summer holidays I've got it out and  considered finishing it.  Then it would go back cause I just couldn't come up with an acceptable solution.  Till a few weeks ago when I decided to have another go.  I unpicked the top and ditched the prairie points.  Because the embroidery was crooked I stitched the ric rac around the edges to cover them up.  Then sewed the buttons in the corners to cover the ric rac corners.  I'm really pleased to have it finished and will be happy to use it now.

My mother has a bit of a scissor obsession and I've been the lucky recipient of all those lovely little scissors with the little embroidered fobs - all made by her. 
We're both partial to pink as you can see. 

So my finishes so far are 3 pincushions in January, the needlecase in February, maybe a quilt by the end of March?  I haven't been doing a lot the last couple of weeks, its been so hot I struggle to stay motivated.  We've had 2 weeks of 30+ weather, I've had enough.  It has been raining a tiny bit tonight but I'm sure all it's going to do is increase the humidity.

I had some trouble loading the photos on tonight so I hope they are clear enough.  I'm not going to push my luck any further tonight.

Happy Stitching


Thursday, 7 February 2013

3 Finishes for 2013!!

Hi there,
3 Digby Dog pincushions, its a start right?  I decided I needed to make something quick and easy.  I've got a lot of these Hatched and Patched pincushion patterns, they are all very cute and fun to make. I have been wanting to make one for myself for a while and I thought if I'm making one I might as well make a couple more at the same time.  My Digby is top left I've given the other 2 to my stitching friends.

I've pulled out a couple of other small long term projects that need to be finished up this year.  Next post I'll show you the next one I've dug out of the too hard basket.

I've had a couple of days home alone this week which has given me a chance to do a bit more reorganising.  I had plans to sew today but reorganised my scrapbooking supplies instead, so much stuff so little time!  My things are sorted better but the kitchen table isn't any neater.

I am trying to downsize in order to be ready for moving in the future.  It does not come easy thats for sure.  Its hard when one phase of your life ends and the future is uncertain.  I have avoided making life decisions for so many years I'm finding it very hard to start now.  Working at an op shop doesn't make it any easier either, I've been busy taking donations to work but it hasn't stopped me bringing home other things. I guess it will work out in the end.
I'm still working on my Scrappy Trip blocks, I'm wondering if I should cut down the size of the quilt cause I think its going to be a bit bigger than I can handle easily.  I can always put any extra blocks on the back.  I would like to make another one with some of my newer brighter fabrics after seeing some of the lovely ones that have been appearing in blogland.

I had a go at making a pineapple block, another in the long list of quilts I would like to make.  I bought a ruler and book online after seeing an episode of the quilt show with Gyleen Fitzgerald.  Gyleen designed the ruler and it was fun playing around with it.  I just used some of my scrap 11/2" strips but I want to do some blocks with better contrast to get the real effect of the pineapple block.

No time to be bored thats for sure,

Happy Stitching